CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Grand Theft Auto..not just a game!

While some teenagers spend time on the weekends playing the game "Grand Theft Auto", one of our Rock Island teens was actually arrested for the crime. The game has become all to real to us and a new aspect of our ministry has now been introduced. Prison ministry. I don't have details right now but this week we will most likely visit one of our 12 year olds in juvie who was arrested Friday night for stealing a car. The sad thing is... I'm glad he's there. I know he's better off there than he has ever been before.

When something like this happens I want to blame the kid... but is it really his fault? Yes, he will take responsibility for it, but I want to know where his parents were? And what kind of home does a child grow up in that causes him to steal cars, sell drugs, or carry a gun at the age of 12? Maybe we should open "Rock Island Sr." It would be a community center for parents that actually keeps them out of trouble and teaches them how to take care of the children that they brought into this world. Can you sense my sarcasm? I'm kinda frustrated right now. I'm sure I'll regret this post tomorrow.

Now... if you are a parent with a rebellious child, I am not being judgmental. Please don't email me and plead your case for why you are a good parent. I'm not blaming you. But, I do know that, in our situation, while our kids are getting in trouble their parents are sitting in front of the tv, out playing bingo, or smoking a joint on the front porch. I have a problem with that.

0 comments: