CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'm ready for camp and I managed to fit everything I need in a shoe box.

I woke up this morning and went in to complete panic. My calendar for the next two weeks is PACKED and I am a little behind. I leave early Friday morning for a vacation to Florida with my family. The part that made me panic is the fact that the day I get back is the day I leave for inner-city camp with 15 of our middle school/high school kids. This is when I went in to "mommy mode".

I don't have kids and don't expect to for a very long time, but despite this fact, I do in fact have a "mommy mode". After arriving at work I quickly pulled out the packing list for camp and discovered two things. One, I had yet to pack any of the things on the list for myself and two, our kids will inevitably show up ready to go with one pair of underwear, the clothes on their back, quite possibly a toothbrush and maybe a pillow. I have this vision that they will show up with everything packed into a shoebox.

I spent the day digging around at Cross & Crown for things that might help them fill the required packing list. I got a hold of all the bathroom items and have assigned the interns to create "hygiene goody bags". Now comes the big task. Tomorrow is bargain shopping day for me. Every child is required to bring one bath towel, one beach towel, and bedding. Most of the kids share a bed with 1 or 2 of their siblings, therefore bedding would be depriving their other siblings. I'm going to hit up the dollar store and see what I can find in the way of towels, but I am soliciting the blogging community for help in the bedding area. Bedding is expensive and if everyone has a linen closet like mine (I have 3 different sets of 'college sheets'), then it shouldn't be a problem coming up with a few old, clean sets of twin sheets and blankets. So if you might be able to come up with something to help, shoot me an email (I'll check on vacation) or drop them off at the mission and notify Ron or Luke that they are for camp bedding.

Pray for our group as we head to camp. Not a single one of our kids has been to an overnight camp and they are a little nervous. Pray that they will feel like they fit in and that God would move within our group and create unity.

1 comments:

Bonniebeewester said...

Chandy! I found your blog! Yeah!!! Hey, call me and I can help you out with whatever you need. Whhohooo!!!