CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Greetings from Florida.

I'm creating the ultimate work-a-holic sin. I'm blogging from vacation. Yikes! Right now I'm in Destin, Florida with my family. I'm blogging because I feel the need to write down one of the thoughts I've had while I've been away from work this week. There is something about the beach that is calming and a great place to think. I've spent alot of time out on the balcony of our condo staring at the waves, praying and thinking about stuff.

I have had one major thought that has overwhelmed me this week. I am blessed beyond belief. I am so lucky to have a family that can afford to spend a week in a place this beautiful. The very first day we were here I was on the balcony looking out at the white sand and waves and I thought, "I doubt the kids/youth at Cross & Crown will ever get the opportunity to see or do something like this". I thought about all the places I've been and things I've experienced in my short 23 years... I have probably experienced more in this past year than most of them will in a lifetime.

For those who know me, I'm a firm believer in experiencing life. I will pretty much try anything once. I have had the opportunity to serve in mission fields all over the world, study abroad in South America in college and vacation all over the US with my family. I say all this to say, I feel like so many of the youth at Rock Island are living in a prison. I see a quality of adventure in many of them and also many of them are big dreamers. The thing is, they never actually think their dreams are possible. They have the mindset that they will never get out of Oklahoma or get to travel. They don't have the money or the people to go with.

It is my sense of adventure that has made me come to a decision this week. I want to start focusing on letting the kids EXPERIENCE life. If they haven't been to the zoo, they should go. If they've never been on a boat, they should ride on one. If they've never seen the ocean, road trip to Galveston, ha! But, I'm serious. I want these kids to have the opportunities I have. I tend to get carried away in ministry. I dream big dreams that aren't really possible. I may not get to bring every kid to Destin with me next time I come, but I want to give them a chance to see and do things they didnt think were possible.

Like I always say in my blogs, some may think I'm crazy, and I am a little bit, but it also never hurt anyone to dream a little.

1 comments:

erynn said...

Graduation/Immigration: Monica, Up Close

Okay, I'll admit it.

My take on the current immigration debate continues to be shaped in large part by my experiences and relationships with some incredible friends who live here without proper documentation.


In my view, we need immigration reform so that my friends can "get legal" and remain in the U. S. The debate going on today in the U. S. Senate ought to be shaped in large part by the stories and the lives of the people who will be affected by any new legislation.


I've told Monica's story here in some detail in the past (just search "Monica" to refresh your memory or understand more).


Monica has been living in Dallas since she was 5-years-old.
This year she graduated from Skyline High School! She is a good student and a great person--exactly the sort of person we need in our community.

The picture of her graduation ceremony with her class is a testimony to her hard work and to the quality of life she enjoys in her home. Her parents are hard working people whose home is so full of love that no one escapes it without health, hope and prospects for a bright, bright future.


Unfortunately, due to recent events, Monica may be deported to Mexico later this year. She has an immigration hearing set for August 1.


Last week I accompanied her, her sister and her cousin to the Dallas office of member of the U. S. House of Representatives, Eddie Bernice Johnson. Our purpose was to determine what, if anything, the Congress woman could do to help Monica.


As Monica answered all of the questions that were asked of her, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. So honest. So straightforward. So authentic. So exactly what this nation needs.


Representative Johnson will write a letter of support. That's about all she can do.


One of her assistants advised us to pray that the judge would exercise discretion and mercy in the case.


The immigration debate is personal for me. I know Monica and her family.


As a result, I know what needs to be done. A comprehensive immigration reform bill needs to be passed so that Monica and people like her and her family can remain in the U. S. and continue to help it be a better place in which to live.


Just ask Dr. Janet Morrison, Director of Children's Education here at CDM, pictured here with Monica. She'll tell you the same thing.

Pray for the judge.

Pray for Monica, her cousin, Jose and their great families.